East Coast Surveys is still providing most client services whilst ensuring the health & safety of our staff, clients and general public in light of recent coronavirus events. View more information

(07) 3823 1029 Address icon7B Natasha St, Capalaba, QLD 4157

Material Change of Use

Material Change of Use

Mapping out subdivision in preparation for a material change of use in Brisbane suburb

What is a Material Change of Use?

When someone seeks to change the purpose or “use” of a parcel of land, a premise or a location, to a “use” not described in the Local planning scheme, they will need to apply to Council for a material change of use. In Australia this was more commonly referred to as the rezoning of properties. We now see very little land rezoning occurring as land use is controlled more by the local planning scheme and its underlying intention. However, it is still common for material change of use applications on a smaller scale. For example, dual occupancy dwellings in urban residential areas that are not within Medium Density Zones. It also occurs for some multiple dwelling applications, town house developments, retirement villages or even the lease of air space for restaurant seating.

Material change of use is a term the State Government of Queensland (Australia) and Queensland local governments use in the assessment of property development applications.

It is defined in the Queensland Government's Integrated Planning Act 1997 (IPA) as:

- the start of a new use of the premises;

- the re-establishment on the premises of a use that has been abandoned, or

- a material change in the intensity or scale of the use of the premises.

Source: Queensland Government Development Applications

Helping You Prepare & Lodge Your Application With Government

As licensed cadastral surveyors, our team is experienced in preparing the documents and conducting all necessary activities needed to get your application successfully approved. We can help you all the way from pre-application advice all the way through to lodging your application with the Queensland government. Please contact us on (07) 3823 1029 for more information.

Some of Our Previous Work...

  • Carbrook Road, Cornubia – Rural Residential Land to Park Residential Land
  • Mount Cotton Road, Cornubia –Rural/Non Urban to Urban Residential
  • King Street, Thornlands – Urban Residential and Open Space to reconfigure the land and uses
  • Bloomfield Street, Cleveland – Community Purpose to Urban residential Land

Proud Members of

SSSi Certified logo
Risk Smart partner logo
Acsis member logo
SIBA logo
SIBA logo